About Me

My photo
Hello, My Name is Erwin JaMarkus Coleman. I am from Tuscaloosa, Alabama; attending the University of South Alabama. I inspire to be a Secondary History Teacher. I want to do more than teach, I want to inspire and aid downtrodden humanity to a better path in life. After my undergraduate studies I want to get a Master's in Public Administration to reform education outside the classroom as well.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blog Post 13

Engage in an E-Media Fast

E-Media surrounds our lives in almost every way. We have become a culture that depends on e-media and feels part of a bigger community because e-media keeps us connected to someone all day. My generation hears our parents tell us they remember when they only had a few channels on the television, had no computers, and the only telephone they had was a land line phone everyone in the house used. When I took on this challenge I only did it to see if I could handle the anxiety of needing to use some form of e-media.
DAY 1
Student using a cellphone
I set on my e-media fast journey and I woke up about to turn on my television but I remembered I could not do it. I watch MSNBC every morning to see what is going on around the country and the world. I was about to go crazy because I love watching MSNBC to keep up on the current events of the day and especially the news on politics. I got dressed and managed to make it out the door without turning my television on. I made it to class and sat down then the biggest obstacle hit me, my phone vibrated telling me I had a text message. This was on a Monday so I only have one class and I have a lot of free time. I am used to waiting after class to check my phone but in the back of my mind I knew after class I could not see who may have text me. As I am riding the jagtran I get two more text messages. I caved under the anxiety of wanting to check so I checked my phone. But I did not use my laptop for the entire day. That was difficult for me also but I handled that much better than using my phone or television.

DAY 2
Student on a LaptopDay 2 was more difficult because I needed to use my laptop. I did most of my work but I just wanted to check Twitter, Facebook, and my e-mails. Social networking have become a big part of my life since middle school when I discover Myspace. This was on a Tuesday and Tuesday's are my busy days so television was no problem but I do have a Twitter and Facebook application on my phone. But I kept that under control. I conduct office hours because I am a Peer Leader for a Freshman Seminar class. I always take my laptop with me just in case I have a student come in for help or advice. Luckily none of my students came in that day. I had one more class to go to but luckily it was towards the end of the day and I was almost done with the challenge of the e-media fast. Once I got back to my room I was so tired I did not feel bored when I could not turn on my television. This was a day I had no texts or phone calls to make. I woke up the next morning at 9:00 and I left for class completing my e-media fast.

Doing this e-media fast was an ultimate challenge for myself. I did know how much I depended on e-media but I did not realize how much anxiety come with not being able to use e-media. I don't use camcorders, video cameras or similar items so those items were easy to not use. My students will come in my classroom using more technology than I used as a student because new technology is always being created to better suite younger people. I will try to incorporate the technology students use to stay connected to the world.
Laptop in the classroom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erwin,

    I have to give you credit for doing something I could never do. I wish I could turn off all of my technology for a day, but with my busy schedule I can't. I can only imagine how hard it was to ignore your phone or laptop. I bet is was tough for you. Great job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erwin!

    I'm impressed, dude. I honestly could not have done this. At least, not during the semester. I think it would be easier if I did it over a break. Maybe. Anyway, I commend your fasting. Great work.

    ReplyDelete